Sunday, April 17, 2011

Peel Me A Roof??????

Shortly before noon yesterday the WIND started blowing. There were gusts that reminded me of the Big Bad Wolf huffing and puffing and trying to blow my house down. The trees all seemed to withstand the onslaught and we kept our power through it all. Didn't seem like much by the way of damage happened around here. That is, until Hubby came home a little bit ago.

He had a job to do this morning, got home around 1:30 pm. He breezed into the house, grabbed a quick cup of coffee and told me he had to go to Lowes, but he didn't tell me why. He likes shopping at Lowes, and I just assumed he needed fittings for a job or something. It wasn't until he came back home from Lowes with the sheet metal screws that he told me what was wrong.

I don't understand it because along with the wind, it poured all night long. Nothing leaked into our home, but apparently the wind tried to steal our roof. An entire section of it had lifted from it's anchors and had peeled back. He's out there as I type this, putting it back in shape and anchoring it down again.

It seems to me that we should have heard somehting that indicated damage, but there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Just the normal creaking and groaning and the sound of the wood stove chimney weaving in the wind. Based on what we've seen, I should have had a flood in my house from the rain.

Of course, now that he'll have it anchored down again, it will leak when we get the next rain. We won't be able to roof coat it again until the weather warms up. Oh well, maybe I'll get that nice rubber roof I've been wishing for. We'll see.

13 comments:

  1. I don't know about those rubber roofs...LOL...might need to throw some dirt on there and plant some foilage...how about some creeping phlox? that'd be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your roof..The wind was really bad here, and not tooo far east of us (Raleigh area) they had a couple of tornado's that really caused some damage so consider yourself somewhat lucky. I put a rubber roof on my florist building 2 years ago...I love it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry and TAB.
    Pay attention to my daily weather posting...

    Sarge

    oh, love the music. I listen to 60s on Sirius i the truck.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherry:

    You remember the story of the Three Little Pigs.

    The first little pig built his house out of straw because it was the easiest thing to do.

    The second little pig built his house out of sticks. This was a little bit stronger than a straw house.

    The third little pig built his house out of bricks.

    You know which pig survived. Sounds like you need a brick house to protect you from all that huffing and puffing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, now it's White Rabbit, one pill makes you small........ now I have to set here for a minute to hear more. YOur music is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bella,

    Rubber roof would keep raindrops from falling on my head while I'm inside. I don't think I'd like my roof with creeping phlox. Although I am tempted to paint ivy vines all over it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. TAB,

    Believe me, I am so grateful that there wasn't a tornado on Saturday. If straight line winds did this much damage, I wouldn't have a house left if a tornado came through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whit,

    Actually my house is made of wood and metal. He puffed, but he didn't blow it down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarge,

    Glad you liked the music, and I'll have to watch your weather report so I'll know what to expect when it gets here. Of course, I realize you can't help me if the storm comes up the east coast instead of from the west.

    ReplyDelete
  10. YF,

    Yes, wind does blow. Glad you like the music. The player is at the bottom of my page and you can read what songs I have on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh, strong winds are the worst enemies of any roof! How's the damage? Were there any leaks after your husband anchored them? Good thing he was able to anticipate the possible damage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adam,

    It's been a few weeks which included 19 straight days of rain. Nothing leaked.

    ReplyDelete