Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Dollar An Ounce?


The newsletter from the doctors office arrived with the list of all the farms that I will be buying fresh produce from this coming season. While all farms grow produce using organic methods, not all are certified organic which is fine by me. While I am willing to admit that organic is probably better for us, I'm not always going to be able to purchase certified organic products. Case in point would be the organic turkey breast lunch meat I bought today. It's a dollar an ounce. I have been told that I will be able to taste the difference. We'll see.

I will be able to buy free range eggs, honey, strawberries, blueberries, apples, fresh veggies in season and garlic at farm stands within an 8 mile radius of my home. I now know which farmers markets to attend and which to skip. The ones to skip are farther away, how lucky can I get? With gas prices over $4.00 a gallon as of today here, closer is better. Otherwise, I would have had to buy my produce at the grocery stores that I usually frequent, plus I wouldn't be getting local grown or fresh.

I filled my tank on Monday at a Nice and Easy near one of my client's homes. Paid $3.86 a gallon. Left one of my clients in the city today and passed 3 separate stations all selling at $4.02 a gallon. If, or maybe I should say when gas prices hit $5 a gallon I will be asking for a raise to offset my expenses. I travel 145 miles a week to service my clients. I drive an older car which gets around 28 mpg's. That still translates to around $26 a week just to work. Add to that the need for tires and I might just as well stay home. Except that I need to eat.

My other option would be to dump those clients that cost me a gallon of gas to travel both ways. I have two of them, and they don't have another aide willing to travel to these two clients. Which doesn't mean I'll get a raise. I might get an extra buck or two for doing those two cases specifically. We'll see what develops. All I know is that my costs are going up and my income is staying the same. Something has to give pretty quick, and I suspect it isn't going to be the company I work for.

6 comments:

  1. hey Sherr, I feel your pain. Everything has gone up. Gas prices are awful. It is hard to justify certain expenses when you don't have the money for x-tra. Clothing? uhm...no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry:

    At a dollar an ounce, I wouldn't "gobble" down that turkey breast. I would treat it like a fine wine, rolling the meat around in my mouth, savoring every last bit of flavor. :)

    Regarding the cost of gasoline, it does become an important factor in your budget unless you are making really good money on the job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bella,

    With the cost of the doctor and supplements I take, even though it's a lot cheaper than medicines, I'm stretched. I'm going to have to take more hours at work. That will give me a raise. In my case, it's only 4 more hours and I'll get a buck an hour raise. It's worth it, although I didn't want to do that because I'd like a short day every week during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whit,

    Our company will pay me a buck more an hour if I agree to work 30 or more hours a week. I'm close enough to it that I'm going to go for it. I may be sorry with summer coming, but it will benefit me now and when I decide to retire. More income equals more SS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheery,
    Organic meats are pretty much prohibitively priced, there are some stores who sell meats not organic but that make it part way by being one or more of the following; minimal processing, free range, hormone free, no antiboitics within the last "X" weeks. We can usually find meats at only a slightly higher price over factory foods with some of the above attributes. As for tasting the difference between conventional and organic foods, though we eat a lot of organic vegi and fruits, I say it's more or less equal. But the advantage is not in the taste but in your avoidance to fungicides, pesticides, preservatives, hormones, chemical washes, dies and colors, of which the proof though not always solid does point towards impacting cancer, hypertension, attention deficit disorder, early sexual maturity in girls, sexual confusion in males, and the list goes on and on. Organic's when on sale once are often the same price as conventional, and you are stimulating a market and protecting the farm land and workers.
    Check my blog, maybe you can save a few dollars on gas.
    Hang in there gal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fringe,

    Organic meats are too high priced for my pocketbook, but I can do the fruits and veggies in season. We are instructed by our good doctor to estimate need and buy in bulk from the producers she recommends. We then freeze or can it ourselves.

    I was really happy to see our friend Mike's honey products on the list, plus a Farmers Market that is limited to farmers using organic methods although they may not be certified.

    I'm going to see if I can grab another case or two in the Fall. That would give me the extra money I need to buy in bulk as it will give me the hours needed to get a dollar an hour raise.

    I have two short days I don't want to give up right now because we're coming into Spring and Summer. I always fret about finances and we always manage. LOL

    ReplyDelete