Sunday, May 8, 2016

Butt Hurts

No, not the internet kind, the real sit down hard on the butt kind.


My Kalso Earth Shoes arrived yesterday. They fit perfectly, feel great on my feet, but I don't remember that I had to learn to walk in them back when I owned my first (and only pair until now) back in the 70s. 

When the nice man in the brown truck knocked on the door I was so excited I couldn't wait to put them on. Grabbed a pair of socks, sat down in the chair to put them on. Didn't even take the tag off first. Put both feet on the floor and stood up. Maybe I should say tried to stand up? I jumped up and the heel lower than the ball of the foot threw me backward onto the chair again. Hard. I started laughing and being very grateful that the chair was braced against the computer hutch so that it didn't roll back far enough for my butt to meet the floor.

Walked up and down the hallway a couple of times and noted that when I picked up the pace my heel didn't hit the floor. Had to slow the pace down which is probably a good thing until I get used to them again. I did notice that the position of my ankles was different and that my foot was rolling from heel to toe in an even manner instead of turning inward onto the arch. That evenness is why I bought them because correct foot position when walking reduces stress on the knees and mine are arthritic and painful. Very painful in the middle of the night. 

The balance issue I'm experiencing will correct itself with use of the shoe so that I will be able to stand from a sitting position without falling backwards. It's just going to take a few days of wearing them although I think I'll practice in the house for a couple of days where the floor is even and there are things I can grab on to. Safer that way.

I'm going to take a 15 minute walk up and down the hallway to see how they feel on my back. If the weather clears up I'll grab my trekking poles and see how they feel on my half an hour walks this week. I can use the poles for balance until I get used to them. Walking in a shoe that feels good on the feet is a blessing. One that will make me want to walk often and for longer periods of time. I have so much to do that I need the time to myself that a good walk can give me.

Oldest Step-Son and his wife bought me flowers for Mother's Day. 


It's been a great weekend. I could get used to all this spoiling.


4 comments:

  1. I'm glad the chair was there when you fell on your butt. That could have been a disaster. Love the color of those shoes. Most of the shoes these days have such bright godawful colors to them that I don't even want to buy them much less be seen in them. lol

    Flowers are beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This shoe from Kalso Earth Shoe comes in 3 colors. Dark Gray which is what I bought, a light gray and a green color that is kind of gray. LOL

      Flowers are gorgeous and still blooming.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had a good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure whether I was more excited by the flowers or the shoes. LOL

      Delete