Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Is That All There Is To It?

Not being a webmaster I have no idea what closing a website entails. Apparently it isn't what I think it would entail since the closed website is still there. I had envisioned some sort of page that would say something like "Website Not Found" or something along that line. I didn't expect it to be there in all it's former glory with links still working. He said April 30, 2011. It is now May 3, 2011 and it's still there. It's like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I snooped around over there and did discover that someone who has a very strange blog or 3 had asked that John keep it open until May 31, so he could take care of transferring it over here to Blogger. That may be what he's doing, although I feel he gave us enough advanced notice and a handy tool to accomplish that with. It seems to me that if one hasn't gotten their act together by now it won't happen before May 31.

The only thing I know for sure is that there is no longer a sign up page. If you click on the "Join Today" link on the front page, it takes you back up to the announcement that he's closing. On April 30, 2011.  Maybe that's what closing means? No new blogs? I highly doubt it.

The very fact that it's still there is annoying me. It's like watching a loved one being kept alive by machines. I almost get angry when I open the page and find it's still there. I want to yell...enough all ready! Stop teasing us with this nonsense. We could blog there, and run the risk of being shut down in mid post. It's useless the way it is and yet it pulls me back to read and remember. I keep hoping the closing announcement was one big joke and I'll wake tomorrow to a big laugh. Which is probably why I'm so annoyed. I know it's not a joke and it will go away...sometime.

16 comments:

  1. I haven't looked. Kinda sad for me, even though I had been away for a while. I had a lot of fun on The Stream and I will miss it terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just deactivated because it just kept opening up, what was the purpose? I take people's word that if its to close April 30th, then come April 30th it would close. Furthermore, I'm with you, anybody that was going to copy anything there from there had plenty of time to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slick,

    I'm going to stop looking. It's too painful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bella,

    It's annoying, like someone is playing with us, although it might just be due to that "Zionists Run Federal Reserve, Kill USA blog". There are 2 other blogs belonging to that account and they're just as unbelieveable as that one is.

    I'm just going to force myself to stay away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to assume he was not kidding...that kind of thing does not lend itself to joking... Probably he is very busy and has not shut down the URL yet..or he may just let the URL expire without renewing it and then it go away....I deleted my bookmark for it and don't go there as I believe he was serious about this....

    ReplyDelete
  6. TAB,

    I know he was serious. I'm just frustrated that it's still there and that I keep going there. I deleted my bookmark just a few minutes ago. That way I'll stay away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry:

    I was over there today and left a post with a message and a YouTube to express my sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, given that many have exited, his bandwidth usage should be down and perhaps he's saving some money this month, as well as having less usage on his server. Also probably taking his time.

    Or, maybe he's holding up the string ball just out of Sherry's reach, watching her catlike, jump and jump again, tormenting with a smile....
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherry,

    I don't know what I was expecting, but I think I was looking for a bit more closure than what I got.

    Oh, well..

    On the lighter side, I have stay here for awhile and listen to Buffalo Springfield. I love it!

    Stop! Hey what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down...

    peace

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whit,

    It's like sitting there listening to a machine breathe for a brain dead loved one. I'm needing it to be gone, so I've deleted my bookmark and am staying away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Skinny,

    I'm not the only one he's tormenting. I figure that in order to be tormented I have to participate in it. I quit. Deleted the bookmark and am no longer interested in what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  12. PaulV,

    It would have been nice to have had closure of some kind. I created a rite of passage for myself by having a few moments of silence and pulling the plug on my connection to the site. Deleted the bookmark and listened to some favorite music.

    "Something's happening here, and it just ain't exactly clear." Yep. "For What It's Worth"

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with everything you said, including 'that you were going to quit looking.'

    it will be what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ICE,

    After I got it all out, I had a good laugh at what a petulant child I sounded like. Then I went and deleted my bookmarks so that I won't keep opening the page. Haven't looked since. Less stress that way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I said my goodbyes there and copied all that I wanted from my blogs. As far as I am concerned it is gone now and I am moving forward. No need to torture yourself Sherry. Just remember it fondly and let it be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. PolarB,

    I got myself to the mindset that how John dealt with the closing was his business and if I felt like it was watching a loved one dying on life support, then I could stop watching.

    Deleted bookmarks and haven't looked since. There is no other direction to go in except forward.

    ReplyDelete