Saturday, January 21, 2017

And The Beat Goes On

First orders of the inauguration day were to remove the LGBT rights page and the Climate Change page from the Whitehouse website Also a suspension of the small deduction in the costs of FHA mortgage insurance for first time homebuyers. According to incoming Press Secretary Spicer, the Donald only signed 3 innocuous Executive Orders. So, liar-in-chief is still liar-in-chief and transparency is kaput. Since liberalism no longer has a real voice in government, I'm going to remind the Alt-Right of that whenever they start whining about how hard life is getting. Even my Conservative daughter-in-law woke up. She posted in Facebook the Dow and Nasdaq results. The price of gas and the unemployment figures so that she could go to her Memories Page to see just how great America becomes.

We want all the things, even when we don't have the ability to afford them. The last time my husband and I went out to eat was on a birthday of mine. It was so long ago, I don't remember what birthday.. On the other hand my husband's children go out to eat every week and they complain they haven't enough money for other things. Youngest and wife go to the movies every week as well. How long ago was it since I went? Well, the movie I saw was "Platoon". Now we watch them at home. Cheaper that way.

When I worked I saw a lot of people living in the Senior buildings who used to run to the corner convenience store as soon as their checks came in and they'd drop $20 plus dollars on Lottery tickets. After not making back the money, they'd take themselves out to the closest fast food place for a lunch. After that they'd head to the smoke shop to buy a bag or 2 of tobacco and a box or 2 of tubes to roll their own cigarettes.  Next day they'd order a pizza for delivery that would cost them another $12 or $20 bucks depending on whether or not the order included wings. Within 4 days they would have spent $50 to $100 of their Social Security check. When food stamps came they'd spend all of it in one trip to the grocers and the last week of the month they'd be at the Food Pantry.  I always found it odd that they could slow down their smoking to last the full month but couldn't see that all the rest of the spending is why they were out of money and food a week to 10 days before the check came. Senior buildings and property are smoke free facilities here. The walk off the property a few times a day probably did some of them good.

I hear how hard it is and how different it is from when I was younger. They aren't kidding. When I was younger, my parents had a home of their own and only 1 car. We had a TV antenna on the roof and could only watch 4 TV channels. None of our entertainment cost a lot of money because it didn't happen every week. We didn't have cake, candy, cookies, ice cream or pie every day. They were treats. Without freezers to keep it in, ice cream was bought by the pint and consumed when we got home. Sometimes during the summer a trip to the ice cream parlor happened. Today's kids get these things almost daily and they live with the things it took years for their parents to gain. Somehow they think they can do all the treats, have all the things they're used to and still have everything else they want.

They aren't prepared for life. Somehow they think it's going to be perfect all the time and easy to have everything they want without muss, fuss or bother. I look at life like this. It's waking up in the morning to the most glorious sunrise you can imagine and then turning away from the window only to step in a puked up hairball with bare feet. Today's kids have to be anesthetized with whatever drug of choice they consume. When they feel the heat, they rage at everything and everyone else. They expect easy street all the time. That's just not the way it works. I wonder what would happen if parents actually taught that? I'm thinking we might find out since we have a new broom in the White House and I'm pretty sure things aren't going to change for the better. I'm just glad my parents taught me about life so I know I can get through whatever happens in one piece.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got that off your chest *smiles*. I'm smiling because you remind me so much of myself and my best friend when we talk. And sometimes I listen to us and just have to smile.

    I guess we will wait and see just what happens in the four years. Come what may, I will do what I can do with what I have to work with . Actually a little hardship never hurt anyone and it might help some of these younger ones face reality. Either that or they won't be able to handle reality when/if it slaps them in the face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today's young adults can't handle a little blip in their radar without drugs. Some of the 40 plus can't either. They do not understand that you have to give until it hurts to get the important things in life. There's that sacrifice word again. LOL

      Delete
  2. Culture has moved on without you and me. There is a new norm. Today's generation is easy come easy go.

    I do remember my parents and uncles saying much the same thing about kids of my generation: rock and roll etc.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow we reach a certain age and we become our parents or grandparents, and disapprove of the younger generations. However, kids these days do have unreal expectations about life. We're raising them to be that way.

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately, the poor will always among us. - What a sad existence that couple has chosen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's those choosing that existence who blame the poor for their struggle.

      Delete