Monday, September 5, 2016

Life With Cat

When you live in an older 12 X 65 mobile home with 3 bedrooms you find the rooms are rather small. When we decided to add a wood stove to the home in order to stay warm without breaking the bank buying kerosene. We removed a wall between living room and the first bedroom which was a whopping 6 X 8. That left us with a second closet in the living room so we built shelves in it and used it for storage. One can never have too much storage since no matter how much we have, it's never enough. In this closet I put cases of paper towels and other things like hubby's tools and past years of his business book work.

I needed a roll of paper towels out of the closet and once I had one in hand decided I needed to go up the hall to the bathroom. I put the roll on the seat of my computer chair and when I came back into the living room, it wasn't there. I was hearing this rather strange popping noise so I followed it and discovered Butterscotch lying on the floor on the other side of the coffee table hugging the paper towel roll and driving both hind paws into it with claws extended.

There was tiny bits of paper floating through the air and sliding across the floor. Some of them had made it the remaining 4 or so feet to the dining room floor. My darling cat is a paper shredder. He thinks it's his reason for living. He'll shred books, business receipts, newspapers, magazines, toilet tissue, paper bags, heavy cardboard box one bite at a time and paper towels. My newly opened roll of paper towels looked like this.


I wish I could say the cat was hanging his head in shame in this next picture but I doubt it. I actually think he was probably laughing at me. Now that I've looked at this picture again, I realize that's one of my husband's business receipts under his nose. Maybe he was planning some new mayhem?



Since I have a 4 legged fur bearing paper shredder in the house, I am so grateful we no longer have carpeting. I can't imagine the damage to the carpet, possibly the vacuum cleaner and definitely my nerves that having carpet would create. Just one more reason to count my blessings.

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha, got to love the kitties ! My cat name CAT is declawed (he came that way when I inherited him) so I don't have that problem with him. Besides, he is rather like Garfield and prefers to just eat and sleep most of the time so he is probably too lazy to bother shredding anything.

    As for storage. I have a four bedroom house with closets and tons of cabinet space in the kitchen including two pantries and I still seem to not have enough storage space. I thought when the kids all moved out I would have lots of empty space, but no. I think it is time to do some more throwing out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beginning on Monday I will be throwing things out because we bought a mobile home and will be getting the permits tomorrow to install it on our land.

      I'm hoping for a new home for the holidays. We have a lot of work to do to get there.

      Delete
    2. Oh great, you finally found one !! Good luck Sherry, I hope everything works out and you are celebrating the holidays in a new place. Yay !

      Delete
    3. It's going to take a lot of work and cooperation from the electric company. We have to replace the pole it's rotted out and we hear they take their own sweet time. If I don't make it in to my new home before the holidays, I at least know I have it and will be in it soon.

      Delete