Saturday, August 27, 2016

There Is A Time



There was a time when the internet was new and exciting to me, now that I'm older it has become exactly what I choose to make of it. There is a conscious decision we have to make to avoid drama and trolls and anonymous adults behaving as if they're stuck in kindergarten. Sometimes watching people treat each other as badly as they do can be painful. Ignoring it becomes easier when there's something going on offline that passes for a real life.

Having a real life is harder when there are physical limits. The days when partying and dancing until dawn on a weekend night were a regular thing, have passed for me. That's a good thing. I'd need a month to recover from them if I did. It took me awhile to accept that life is a little bit slower when one is older. I used to regret those nights when I was stuck at home watching my very tired husband fall asleep on the couch almost immediately after supper. I thought we should be doing something or going somewhere, now I'm just grateful that he's here .

Now I don't have to be in a hurry. I can move slower and breathe in the scent of newly mown lawn. I can listen to the crickets or the breeze rustling the tree leaves. I can contemplate the changes of the seasons without the stress of wondering how I'm going to go here or there in winter. I can go where and when I choose to go without pressure of having to be someplace at a specific time.

It was when I began to take better care of me and stop to smell the roses that I realized this was my time. This was when I can explore new things, listen to genres of music that I don't ordinarily listen to. Which is how I found "There Is A Time".

I have faced the fact that this aging body of mine isn't quite as capable of doing all the things it used to do. I've torn a rotator cuff and will require therapy to strengthen it and to free the shoulder that is trying to freeze up. This too shall pass and I will learn how to pace myself to avoid it happening again in the future.

There is a time for quiet enjoyment of a good book, the purr of a contented cat and I am there.



4 comments:

  1. I made a conscious decision to leave the one place that seemed to me to be 99% mean spirited hate and filth being thrown at people. I do not regret leaving that place and my online experience has been much more enjoyable since then. I don't spend a lot of time online anymore either. There is too much out here in the real world to enjoy, all those things you mention and more. Beauty to sooth the soul.

    Hope you heal up quickly and do be careful, yes we do have to slow down a bit as we age as I have found out on my own a few times. I think I am finally learning :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go there twice a week to post and comment on 5 or 6 people's posts. The rest of the days I go long enough to answer any comments I get. And I only read and comment when the posts aren't mean spirited. Those people don't pay my rent, food or clothing bills so I refuse to give them space in my head. They do what they do without me and if others choose to play, that's their business.

      Then I pop into FB for 15 minutes unless I find something interesting to read. Most of it is spam and junk. Sometimes my aunt or cousins message me and we chit chat. I can't be bothered to get myself all in an uproar over other people's behavior. That's their choice and none of my business.

      Delete
  2. Aging is not for sissies. We start to break down physically and if we let them other peoples actions and approval keep us upset. The trick is to accept our aging and use this time to divorce ourselves from anything that annoys us - and to stop and smell the roses. It is our time of life and to waste it on petty grievances that we can not change is unproductive. This is all the time we have left and if we don't make a point to milk as much enjoyment from it as we can we will have wasted it. There is no rewind and replay.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the past year my doctor has been suggesting that I pace myself, but I still haven't figured out what pace I need to slow down to. LOL I'm learning.

      Delete