Monday, June 4, 2012

Cat And Mouse

It was a strange day. I only had 1 case today. Came home, puttered around and sat down in front of the computer to check in on the blog. I had just started reading Whispered Promises comment to me when my phone rang. I answered and heard " Hi Sherry, it's me, Mo" Some of you might know her better as Mousey.

Talk about your surreal moments! There I was reading and hearing from 2 of my long lost blogbuds from Blogstream at the same time. Mousey has a lot on her plate right now. Long work hours, a Mom she's helping and she hasn't the time to blog at the moment. Life has this habit of getting in the way of fun.

During our conversation she told me that Bandit, her beloved kitty made the trip over the Rainbow Bridge last August. Like me, she chose to open her heart and home to a new kitty and she intentionally chose a male. I neglected to ask what color he is, but she has found out that demonkittehs come in all colors. I gather that her demon is not quite as bad as mine, but she now has a better understanding of the frustration and the joy that comes with choosing to be a companion (servant) to the males of the kitteh world.

Butterscotch, my own personal demonkitteh, is an equal opportunity pest. He divides his time between irritating both Hub and myself and napping, of course. Since my knee injury, he's pretty much leaving Hub alone and bugging me constantly. At the moment, he's on the back of this chair waiting for me to get up and move so he can go with me. Since the problem with the knee, it doesn't matter where I go in this house, he HAS to go with me.

As far back as I can remember, I've been using the bathroom all by myself. I know how to get there and back again. I know exactly what I have to do when I'm in there. Mama taught me at some point how to behave in that regard. I've been doing the bathroom thing all by myself for probably the last 58 or 59 years. Not any more. Now I have a "helper".

Now, when I need to go there, my helper leads the way. Once I'm in there and seated, he sits on the floor directly in front of me and watches EVERYTHING I do. I tried to leave him in the hallway because I am capable of doing this solo. The first time I tried that, he screeched and threw himself at the door until Hub came up the hall and let him in. He's a 14 pound cat. It sounded, to Hub, like I was in trouble. Hey, a bad excuse is better than none at all, unless the person on the other side of the door would like some privacy.

When he's not sitting there staring at me, he's inspecting my knee. He sniffs at it, cocks his head and looks at it, but he won't touch it. Not even when I'm in bed reading or elevating and icing it. Under normal circumstances, he thinks absolutely nothing about walking across me as if I'm some sort of bridge, stepping wherever. He won't do that right now. Goes all the way to the foot of the bed to walk around my body to get to the middle of the bed from the floor on my side. I may not understand his behavior, but at least he keeps me company during the boring and sometimes painful times when I'm sitting there with my leg up enjoying an ice pack.



12 comments:

  1. Hope you and Butterscotch are doing well...cat's..your lucky...they don't eat Beggin Strips....I have a Beggin Strip Poodle Retard Monster....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're right, cats don't eat Beggin Strips. They just shred paper, leave hair all over your clothes, have a litter box to clean out daily and won't let you go to the bathroom by yourself.

      I'm doing OK for an old lady. :D

      Delete
  2. Interesting...he is demanding and rude and yet very perceptive and kind. A purrfect companion to keepvyou on your toes and care for you knee!
    Oh..and thanks for the honorable mention...i missed you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has a completely different personality from Bashful. We never realized what a good kitty she was until we met Butterscotch. Still, I wouldn't give him up for anything, or anyone.

      Delete
  3. Sherry:

    I call that a cat with an engaging personality. How fortunate you are to have such a companion for company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's the only cat I've ever known that is waiting right by the door crying for us to hurry up and come in when we get home. Bashful used to sit in the front window and watch until we opened the door then she'd turn her back on us.

      Today I was icing the knee when I came home from work. Long day, it was a bit swollen. I went to readjust the position of the pack and he put his paw on the back of my hand and sat there a few seconds. He occupied my lap while I was icing. Still managed not to touch my knee.

      Delete
  4. Don't know which is worse, a demon kitty or a dog who lately has decided to poop in the bedroom after my wife leaves for work in the morning and before I come home from my night shift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that's not something normal for the dog, might want to make a trip with him to the vet. Might have anal gland problems. When a housebroken dog has accidents there's usually a reason.

      Both dogs and cats can be irritating pests and bundles of joy at the same time.

      Delete
  5. I've always been intrigued by cats. I can sit and watch them for hours - they are of another world as far as I'm concerned. Great you have him. Wishing your knee to get better so he can take the 'shortcut' across you.

    ice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To people who say that cats serve no purpose, I suggest that they should just watch them a bit. Mine has an imaginary playmate. Either that or Bashful is a ghost. LOL

      They have distinct personalities, which make them truly amusing companions.

      Delete
  6. Sherry,
    Dogs are no better. We have lever-style door handles. Just pull down to release the latch. And we have an Afghan hound that has figured out this feature. He does not like closed doors. 'nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more privacy huh? I've given up.

      It's strange because he used to just lie down in the hallway and wait. Not since my knee blew up on me. Now I even have to watch where I step when exiting the shower.

      We had a thunder storm earlier today. He spent the entirety of it on my lap trying not to touch my knee.

      Delete