Monday, October 10, 2011

Indian Summer

We've had 2 nights of killing frost. It's brought out the red so sadly lacking in the foliage until now. The temperature has warmed up to nearly 80 degrees for the second day in a row. One more day and it will be officially an Indian Summer.

For the past week, every evening at 6 or so a flock of geese have announced that they are leaving as they wing south overhead. The robins and hummingbirds have gone leaving behind their heartier songbird friends to keep us company through the cold harsh winter. I've been sitting here with windows open listening to one such feathered friend. First I hear the call of the woodpecker and then this bird that chirps over and over, just a short shrill sound. Almost sounds like a squeaky wheel. I've no idea what bird it is since I'm unable to see it in all the glorious fall color.

All the corn fields in the area have changed from green to gold and farmers are out cutting them down. Farmers are selling their ripening winter squashes and apples since the frost killed off just about everything else. The punkins are plentiful this year. Apples are sweet and juicy, just the way we like them. I'm tempted to bake a pie but it's not really something I'm supposed to be eating. I'll wait until November at Thanksgiving time. Sweets to be consumed for a special occasion.

This is the best time of the year for Autumn Soup and Mushroom Stew. I may not have managed enough money to buy what I needed for the Winter, but I do have enough to make large warming pots of both and freeze much of it for the coming months. For the rest of it, although homegrown tastes better, I can still buy what I want at the grocers. Organic when I can afford it and whatever else when I can't.

When the temperature cools back down a bit, I'm going to try my hand at baking a loaf of whole wheat bread. the old fashioned way, without a bread machine. All that kneading of the dough will be good for the stress relief and if it turns out well, I will continue to do a loaf or two every week. Might even manage to get Hubby to eat it if I tell him it's made with unbleached flour and that's why it's so dark. It worked to get him to eat whole grain pasta, I might get lucky if I don't let him see the packaging. Sometimes life just needs us to be a little creative to get over the humps. Although, it does seem like there are a lot more humps these days.

4 comments:

  1. Sherry,
    Drove from INDY down to Evansville a week ago today and came back up Sunday - Indiana is weeks away from "peak" but the colors in just one week became more vibrant - reds, oranges, and yellows. I hate it when it is over and all you can see is white and grey for five or six long cold months...

    Try some rum and apple cider...


    Bests,


    Sarge

    ReplyDelete
  2. hopefully not too many humps in the road Darlin' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarge,

    I'm on medications that mean I can't imbibe anything alcoholic. I might mull some cider with a few cinnamon sticks for those long cold evenings ahead. Although, my first choice would be hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TAZ,

    Either those humps are getting bigger, or my ability to climb over them is getting smaller. Maybe a combination of both.

    ReplyDelete